Monday, October 06, 2014

How to Find Good Books (6/31)


A few of my favorite places to find good books...

1.  This.  A book of booksI imagine that the interlibrary loaning system shudders when I sit down with the "book of books."

2.  Blogs.
A few of my favorite blogs (and an example post) for finding out about good books.


Also, this podcast--Reader-Aloud Revival.  
(This would also go on my Highly Recommended list--if I had one. ;)

3.  Amazon
Once I find a book we love, I often look at the recommended selection at the bottom of the page.  It's a never-ending rabbit trail of books.  Also, it's a great source of reviews.

4.  A trip to a book store.

Here's my system.  At the store I take pictures of the books that look good.  Then, I usually check them out of the library. (Again, I imagine them muttering under their breath.)  If we LOVE a book and I know that we'll read it over and over, I usually buy it.  This lets us read lots of books, have our own shelves full of our most-loved titles and supports our favorites.

5.  Recommendations from friends.

You say there's a book about a doughnut machine?  On it.  (Thanks, A-N.)
 Eating a fresh cider doughnut the day after reading about the day the doughnut machine made a few too many doughnuts.

What are some of the best ways you find out about good books?


 Click HERE to see all of the posts in this series.


BTW, Annie Downs (one of my favorite authors) is participating in the Writing Challenge with her series 31 Books Every Young Woman Needs--can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment