Wednesday, September 26, 2012

What's the Deal? Why Homeschool?


To be completely honest--I didn't see it coming.  (Maybe you did? :)

M loved kindergarten and overall so did we.  J and I both loved school.  And we have a lot of excellent educators in our family. 

But, a few years ago when I started doing "theme weeks" with my then two- and four-year olds I started trying to be more intentional with my time as a mom.  And I fell in love with learning with my little people.

I'm discovering that I place a really high priority on imagination and creativity.  I think that reading and playing and having quiet space to explore deeper interests is really important.

And when I looked ahead at a full-day school schedule I realized that the time to learn with my kids and to provide room for imagination was going to be drastically limited and that made me sad.

But over the last year or so I've been observing the tid-bits of life from a distance of my facebook adoption friends who homeschool.  And I started to think that maybe homeschooling isn't what I thought it was. 

I used to think it was exactly like being a teacher at home.  You know, standing in front of my "class" and giving lectures all day long from text books.  It turns out it doesn't have to be like that at all.

We're actually covering all the school subjects and a few others just for fun with room for concentrated study time, tons of reading of real-life or living books instead of textbooks, and fun hands-on experiments and experiences with lots of space for imaginations to grow.

I don't know how long we'll be on this path.  For now I am thankful for this opportunity to "do school" together.  I have my long list of pros and cons to keep me grounded, but in this moment we are loving what this lifestyle brings.

3 comments:

  1. I didn't know you were homeschooling this year!!! We are loving our first year as well...at least so far we are :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a great mom! And you're one of my "mommy idols!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY how fun!!
    ~Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete