Tuesday, September 25, 2012

I Opened the "Junk" Mail (A Reading List)


It was a banner night in our house--we finally--FINALLY--finished Swiss Family Robinson.  We have been reading that book for the better part of two whole months.  I swear I've logged at least 30 hours of read-a-loud time on this one.  Whew!  

Tears streamed down our faces (well, maybe not T's) as we finished this long and winding tale because...
1.)  It's over.
2.)  Someday the reality of the last paragraphs will be ours.
3.)  Why couldn't this have been a real story and why aren't we the characters? (M's reason, NOT mine. ;)
4.)  We fell in love with our Swiss family--will there ever be a book we could possibly love as much as this?! (Again, all M.)

On a completely different note--related only in that it's something we read--the other day we opened a few pieces of mail that we often overlook (aka, toss).  The first one was a letter about malaria and the life-saving mosquito nets.  The letter opened with this statistic-- more than 1,500 children die every day from malaria.  

Every day?  From mosquito bites?  We have itchy mosquito bites right now, but fear of death from them has never even entered my mind.  1,500.  That's a big number when we're talking lives.  Every day.  What does that even look like?  If I can't even imagine it, then my little people can't either.

To visualize that number we laid down 15 of these cards.

Then we picked up just one card and each tried to name 100 people. 

1,500.  A day.  Not okay...

For more information Go Here--endmalaria.org.

1 comment:

  1. First off I would like to say fantastic blog! I had a quick
    question
    in which I'd like to ask if you don't mind. I was interested
    to find out how you center yourself and clear your thoughts prior to
    writing. I have had a difficult time clearing my mind in getting my thoughts out.

    I truly do take pleasure in writing however it just seems like
    the first 10 to 15 minutes are lost just trying to figure out
    how to begin. Any recommendations
    or tips? Kudos!

    Check out my homepage - Please visit my site
    Also see my site :: Go To My Website

    ReplyDelete